5/01/2009

Fantasy series

There's been much debate recently about whether or not Twilight is really the "new" Harry Potter. At first, I rolled my eyes at this assumption and said "of course not". I bristled one day in Borders when I heard two teenage girls blithely declare that "No one cares about Harry Potter since Twilight" The two are too entirely different to be considered kin, or for one to replace the other. What do Stephenie Meyer and J.K. Rowling have in common, aside from the fact that they both happen to be enormously popular authors? What do Harry and Bella have in common, for that matter? An unhealthy obsession with Robert Pattinson, and that's about it.

But I've become more open to the possibility of comparison recently. Because the series do have something in common, in the way they are read (obsessively, repeatedly, unconditionally), and in the devotion of their fans. It will be interesting to see how the friendly rivalry plays out in the future, especially now that both series have officially ended. Although I remain a Potterhead for life, my regard for Twilight has cooled somewhat since I laid aside the last book. That is why it ranks lower on my list of favorite fantasy series. I tend to judge a book, or a movie, by its staying power--is it something I will want to read over and over again, or will its effect cool as time goes on? Only a few have stood the test of time.

Perhaps this is the reason I am so fascinated by that phenomenon known as the fantasy series--cliches and all. They keep up the excitement over an extended period of time, and, when well managed, they can be powerful money makers thanks to people like me.

So I'm curious--what fantasy series has really affected you, beyond the excitement of initial spoilers and midnight release parties? I would rank my favorites as follows:

1. Harry Potter
2. The Chronicles of Narnia
3. The Books of Bayern
4. The Enchanted Forest Chronicles
5. Percy Jackson and the Olympians
6. Twilight
7. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

2 comments:

  1. Haha, Heather....I loved your comment about the unhealty obsession for Robert Pattinson...omigoodness, that's hilarious. I never noticed that before :)

    In regards to my favorite Fantasy Series Books...hmmm...these are in no particular order...

    1. Shadow Children Sequence (Margaret Peterson Haddix)
    2. Chronicles of Narnia (C. S. Lewis)
    3. InkHeart Trilogy (Cornelia Funke)
    4. Dragons in Our Midst (Bryan Davis)
    5. Harry Potter (J. K. Rowling)
    6. DragonKeeper Chronicles (Donita K. Paul)
    7. The Circle Trilogy (Ted Dekker)
    8. etc. etc. etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite article thus far, Heather, dearest ;). Gee, I don't know if I can name alll my favs...I like pretty much of all the above mentioned (both by you and Charis)

    ReplyDelete