10/08/2013

Talismans


When my mother
left me home
with a babysitter, she used to
give me the cloth--
the piece of cotton
she kept by her bedside
to rub between her fingers
in hours of anxiety.
It smelled of her (roses
and patchouli, kissed by silver).

The T-shirt you left me
(soft cotton, burnt orange)
hasn’t been washed.
I leave it folded on my bedside
so every night I smell
the faint pine man sweat green skunk
hinting of your presence.

Nightmare nights, I used to waken
and reach for the comfort
of my mother’s room, where I could
hear the television
running, even when the bed was empty.
Those voices
a source of comfort.

Now, nighttimes,
I reach for you in darkness, stretching
my limbs from the silent womb
of solitude, groping like a starfish, missing
the silent curve of your body, slipped
so perfectly against me, inside of me
overwhelming me. Pulling myself
towards you, inside of you,
wrapping around you,
stacking us
within one another
till we no longer distinguish
our seamless skin, a
gleaming surface. Our
selves no longer
fragments. Take me in.

This missing is not a new sensation.
I’m used to holding
conversations with silence.

I write poems in half-light
(laptop glowing in my college dorm room)
and send them to you in
California.

I get up, take a shower, scrub my torso.
I am washing you, sanitizing
my remnants. I am renouncing.

No comments:

Post a Comment