10/08/2013

Materialism


Our flirtation is a 
history of shared objects. 
The apple you brought me, plucked from the orchard 
where you stained childish fingers 
and bruised elbows, climbing. 
The sketches I left in your room, abstract
representations of my longing. Lines and diagrams, concentric circles. I was not an artist 
but chose anyway 
to torture you with my obscurity 
and litter your desk with my love notes. 
You sat on the floor 
of my tiny apartment,
folding paper cranes 
out of post-its. You left my table littered 
with intricate paper sculptures;
origami was a reflex, they were not 
signs of your affection.
I placed them on my dresser, re-
arranged them. As if 
our hands were touching.
I still carry the broken  
heart you folded from scraps of wire. 
It is a scrap, a trinket, 
that serves as a reminder. 
The only letter I wrote you 
remains unopened. 
I had to pinch your nose
to get you to swallow it. 
The last gift you gave me, 
on the day we parted, 
was a daisy. You
left it on my desk 
to absorb the sunlight
and my roommate placed it in a glass of water. 
I tucked it 
behind my ear and 
let it wilt in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment